Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Waiting for Wendy

Just when you thought they were all done, we have another sex scandal from the Republican Party.

Louisiana Sen. David Vitter, whose telephone number was disclosed by the so-called "D.C. Madam" accused of running a prostitution ring, says he is sorry for a "serious sin" and that he has already made peace with his wife.

"This was a very serious sin in my past for which I am, of course, completely responsible," Vitter said Monday in a printed statement. "Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God and my wife in confession and marriage counseling. Out of respect for my family, I will keep my discussion of the matter there — with God and them. But I certainly offer my deep and sincere apologies to all I have disappointed and let down in any way."


Of course, Bill Clinton committed an unpardonable sin that caused impeachment hearings and endless media scrutiny. And let’s not even get started on how the Republicans try to police and restrict the lives of gays.

But in Vitter’s case everything’s okay, because God’s granted him forgiveness and we should respect his wishes to keep the matter private. I can only hope the Republicans respect the wishes of the next Democrat involved in a similar story. I also hope God’s similarly quick to grant forgiveness to others who “sin,” but I’m not holding my breath.

Later the story goes on to provide us with some titillating background information:

Vitter and his wife, Wendy, live in Metairie, La., with their four children. In 2000, Wendy Vitter told Newhouse News Service she could not be as forgiving as Livingston's wife or Hillary Clinton.

"I'm a lot more like Lorena Bobbitt than Hillary," she said. "If he does something like that, I'm walking away with one thing, and it's not alimony, trust me."


Well, I’m just going to grab a bag of popcorn and sit back and wait for the ensuing story on CNN. This should be fun.

Also, if you haven’t heard, McCain’s top two aides Campaign Manager Terry Nelson and Chief Strategist John Weaver resigned today, dealing his stalled campaign what is almost certainly its deathblow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home