Monday, July 04, 2005

Shitty Canada Day Weekend

Alright, who had a worse Canada Day weekend than me? I will wager nobody who actually reads this little page did. In case you care, here is a recap:

Thursday, June 30: Awake at 6:15 AM, left the house by 6:40 AM for a hospital visit. I arrive there and found out I forgot to take some necessary medication prior to the procedure, which delays the start of it by about an hour and a half. So after that happens, I have a very painful procedure which lasts about two hours or so followed. Following hours of bedrest to ensure I have properly recovered, I leave the hospital about 6:30 in the evening.

Friday, July 1: Spent all day sore and lazing around in bed or on the couch recovering from Thursday. I was unable to attend fireworks display in Centennial Park, although I finally dragged myself out for a trip to my beloved Wendy’s.

Saturday, July 2: Not too terrible of a day, as I didn’t feel that bad. I didn’t really do anything except watch various parts of Live 8 and then a very frustrating Blue Jays loss.

Sunday, July 3: Woke up at 3 AM with incredible stomach pains. Incredible pains. I thought I needed to go to the bathroom, but I did that and it didn’t help. Half an hour later I realised I wasn’t vomiting and something was wrong. So I woke up my parents and they decided it’d be best to go to Emergency, as it could be complications from Thursday. So we got there shortly after 4 and I promptly violently vomited. The incredible pain continued and I was brought in. They took blood tests and about half an hour later (it was probably about that long, although it felt like two hours) I was given some morphine. But it wasn’t enough, so I got some more. On a side note, there are a few surprisingly attractive doctors and nurses working the night shifts on holiday weekends.

Meanwhile, I underwent about three different tests to ensure that it wasn’t complications from Thursday. I puked again, although the pain had been dulled by the morphine. They couldn’t figure out what it was and when the morphine wore off things hurt a lot less, so once I managed to convince them I could hold down food (I didn’t want to be admitted overnight) I left at about 2 in the afternoon. So I spent the rest of Sunday feeling somewhat sick, but not as bad as I did earlier that day.

As to what caused it, it doesn’t seem to be complications from Thursday. It appears to be either food poisoning or some sort of violent reaction to fluoride-type products (long story) for tooth care (but that’s also suspect because my sister had used that stuff previously fine and it never mentioned intense stomach pain on the side effects and it was also the first and only time I was using them). I doubt food poisoning, because I ate Wendy’s for supper Saturday and Dave Thomas would never poison me. Also, my brother ate it and was fine and my burger didn’t look poisonous, either. And that’s the best test I’ve got.

So, I’m at a loss, but I’ll just assume it was like that planted finger at Wendy’s and that things will be fine next time I eat there. But, goddamn that was some bad pain. It was “chop off my foot so I have something else to distract me from the pain in my stomach” sort-of pain. The moral of the story is, avoid pain.

Monday, July 4: Decided to take the day off work because I needed to register for my courses and I am still not feeling great because of yesterday. So I wake up at 7:30 AM (nice sleep-in on my one day off) to get ready for course requests. However, Queen’s has the most incredibly stupid system in the world where all the students try to logon to some stupid program that can’t handle it and so most of them spend an hour getting booting off and thus miss out on many courses they want, while others get on and get everything. So I spent from 8:00-8:30 getting kicked off constantly and I was MSNing with a housemate, who was getting into his courses, no problem (well, not no problem but the problem wasn’t with QCARD). So I asked him to do mine when he was done and he generously agreed.

However, at 8:40 one of my courses had already filled up, so I couldn’t take that one. Secondly, Queen’s neglected to inform you but only first-years can take their first-year Canadian history course, which I planned to take to get my Canadian history credit and I only found this out by my housemate phoning the history office this morning. So therefore I have no Canadian history credits going into fourth year and am entirely at the mercy of the 2006 timetable, and, based on this year, Queen’s offers no good Canadian history courses to begin with. I don’t mind Canadian history in some aspects, but there’s nothing to take. Thirdly, my nicely-planned timetable is now screwed up and my schedule now has openings that I have to fill and am having trouble doing so. I got most of the courses I want, but this QCARD crap sucks and I am still pissed about history.

So, I also went to the dentist today, and I hate the dentist, even though my dentist is pretty nice. My dentist informed me that, although I have no cavities, I also have crappy tooth enamel which makes me very likely to get cavities and gum disease and all that fun stuff in the future if I don’t massively improve my brushing habits and/or reduce my intake of sugars (which I don’t eat that much of, besides pop). The only plus side to the trip to the dentist was that I ran into one Ms. Gloria Bacci and we had a nice conversation about my old dentist, licence-exit tests and the trauma of routine car accidents.

So that was my weekend of not fun, so if anyone wants to give me $40 or season tickets to the Blue Jays or anything, that would be much appreciated. Also, you can now appreciate how good your weekend was, even if you did absolutely nothing of note.

And that all was surprisingly non-cathartic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home