Saturday, October 29, 2005

Mr. Sulu Comes Out

I never watched Star Trek as a child, or as an adult, so I don’t really know George Takei beyond his voice work on The Simpsons. I must have seen about 12 minutes of Star Trek in my life and that’s enough for me to live on; I won’t be rushing to watch it anytime soon.

Anyhow, George Takei has recently disclosed that he is a homosexual. Although he’s been a practicing homosexual for years and has been in an 18-year relationship, only now does Takei feel comfortable enough to disclose his status to society at large. Let me congratulate Takei for finally reaching a stage where he can accept his sexual orientation and feels comfortable with that becoming a public part of his identity.

I can’t take credit for spotting this, but it’s interesting to note that when coming out Takei said:

"It's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen."

Christ George, can you keep your pants on for two minutes? “Narrow corridor that begins to widen” after a “long, long” walk? I’m getting images of Takei that I never wanted after reading that phrase.