Saturday, September 10, 2005

I Don’t Want to Go to Tom DeLay’s Birthday Party and Other Thoughts on New Orleans

1. I Don’t Want to Go to Tom DeLay’s Birthday Party

If this is his idea of fun, I’d hate to see what activities he plans for his birthday party.

U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's visit to Reliant Park this morning offered him a glimpse of what it's like to be living in shelter.

While on the tour with top administration officials from Washington, including U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao and U.S. Treasury Secretary John W. Snow, DeLay stopped to chat with three young boys resting on cots.

The congressman likened their stay to being at camp and asked, "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?"

They nodded yes, but looked perplexed.

Yes, I understand maybe he is trying to put a positive spin on it for some youngsters, but that comment in that situation seems pretty inappropriate to me, especially from a representative from a government that has been widely criticised for an inadequate response to Katrina.

I can’t imagine being in that situation and losing my house, my entire life’s possessions, the city I live in and basically almost everything I have on earth but my family and friends. However, I think in such a situation I’d want sympathy, rather than some phony and inadequate effort to cheer me up. How about a pledge to help the survivors rebuild their life? Or to help the city of New Orleans rebuild itself? That seems like something that would be much more appropriate.

2. What’s on Bush’s Mind at This Time is Highly Questionable

However, the former residents of New Orleans need not fear. Bush will rebuild their city, or at least one house in it.

Or was it that odd moment when he promised to rebuild Mississippi Senator Trent Lott's house--a gesture that must have sounded astonishingly tone-deaf to the homeless black citizens still trapped in the postapocalyptic water world of New Orleans. "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house--he's lost his entire house," cracked Bush, "there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch."

3. Some Katrina Photos Are Worth Looking At

This photo is haunting.



4. Where the Hell is Dick Cheney?

Shouldn’t the Vice-President be involved in the recovery efforts for one of the worst natural disasters to hit a country in its entire history? Apparently not as his website doesn’t even mention Hurricane Katrina.

1 Comments:

At September 10, 2005 at 2:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mercury Hybrid debuts at Sierra Club Convention
Ford is rolling out its 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid today at the Sierra Club's first ever National Environmental Convention and Expo.
Bookmark my online personals related website

 

Post a Comment

<< Home