Monday, December 05, 2005

How Many Have You Read?

How many of the American Library Association’s most challenged books have you read? Click here to read the list. It does have a ton of books for kids; but those books are the ones that tend to be challenged.

I’ve read #1, 5, 7, 13, 16, 22, 27, 29, 32, 33, 37, 41, 49, 51, 55, 56, 62, 70, 77, 83, 84, 88, 96 and 99. That’s 24, by my count. Not bad, but I really should read some more challenged books. If you’ve noticed, I didn’t include Slaughterhouse-Five, despite the fact I’m a big Vonnegut fan. I have both it and Brave New World on my bookshelf, waiting to be read. Once I get through both of those I’ll have read over ¼ of the list.

Man, those Alvin Schwarz stories were pretty freaky. The drawings were so ghoulish. I’m convinced I got multiple nightmares from them, but the books were a perfect first venture into the horror genre. I actually raised those books in conversation a few days ago (although I had no idea who wrote them) and the people I was speaking to had no idea what I was speaking about. It was sad.

Also, congrats to Judy Blume for writing candidly about teenage sex from a girl’s perspective over 30 years ago and still occupying the #5 spot on the list. Although her stories don’t age particularly well, her books still should be part of any girl’s reading during adolescence. Sadly, I don’t think I ever read Forever, but I know I read Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret and Blubber, as well as all the Fudge books, which weren’t on the list.

3 Comments:

At December 6, 2005 at 8:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got 13 37 41 47 52 69 70 88 ...I really never read any of those children's books, the only one I've read was Where's Waldo. I must be missing out.

 
At December 7, 2005 at 12:39 a.m., Blogger Michael Fuller said...

I've read 7 of them, and seen the movie for another (American Psycho). I guess I need to read more.

 
At December 8, 2005 at 10:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

5, 13, 14, 16, 22, 23, 27, 29, 32, 37, 47, 52, 56, 62, 69, 70, 77, 84, 88, 98,

20, bitchez. and yes mike, you're totally missing out, this is total nostalgia. i'm compelled to re-read these books, at least to figure out why the feck they were challenged. i mean, anastasia krupnik, how could she go wrong! although The Giver and A Wrinkle In Time just exploded my mind as a precocious third-grader, as i recall....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home